Try these great natural approaches to treating coughs, colds and viruses.
When we first feel a cold creeping upon us the first instinct is usually to dose ourselves up with all manner of pills and potions from the local pharmacy. While there will always be a place for vitally important conventional medication, it doesn’t always have to be our first port of call. If caught earlier enough there are many natural ways we can heal ourselves. While traditional healthcare tends to focus on just the symptoms and the use of potentially suppressive treatments, alternative health care gently supports the body to heal naturally in non invasive ways. Part of having a cold is having a runny nose and by trying to suppress that you are preventing your body from eradicating the virus.
By using herbs, essential, or aromatherapy oils and other natural systems we can ease these symptoms without suppressing them.
Five things to you can do to fight back!
· Drink plenty of fluids, in particular water, fruit or vegetable juices and herbal drinks such as Lemon & Ginger, Chamomile & Honey or one of the ready made detox blends. It is best to avoid any caffeine laden drinks as these will further dehydrate you. A great start to the day is a glass of hot water with lemon juice and honey. The lemon juice and hot water will cleanse and invigorate your system encouraging detoxification with a healthy dose of Vitamin C. The honey will ease and coat sore throats and its antibacterial action will get to work on all those nasty germs!
· Have plenty of rest, if you are having trouble sleeping at night, time and responsibilities willing, take a power nap. Even 10 minutes can be enough to recharge your batteries. While we are sleeping our body functions slow right down, giving our body a chance to repair and heal itself.
· Eat little and often, try to avoid large heavy meals as your body needs to conserve its energy for healing rather than digesting huge amounts of food. Try to eat things which are light, such as soups and broths. Cut down on dairy products where you can as this will only encourage the production of mucus, the last thing you need when you are full of cold!
· Fresh air! Nothing makes you feel worse than being shut up in a stuffy central heated house. Fresh air and a little light exercise will clear your head and encourage your body to release toxins while the day light will boost your vitamin D intake.
· Keep busy, but don’t over do things, delegate jobs if possible and only do what is necessary. If you don’t have to go to work or have other responsibilities take this time to catch up on your reading , phone up a friend, watch a favourite movie or listen to some music which leaves you feeling uplifted. Long lingering illnesses especially in winter can quickly leave you feeling depressed, so even if you are feeling very ill try not to wallow in it. Scientists have proven that those with a positive attitude to life always recover more quickly than those with a “poor me” attitude.
Now for some other ways we can help our body to heal, below is the recipe to make our famous;
Good Vibes Cold Cure
· Juice of ½ a freshly squeezed lemon
· 1 cup of lemonade
· 6 cloves
· ½ a cinnamon stick
· 1 dessert spoon of honey
· ¼ cup of water
· Add all the ingredient to a small pan
· Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes
· Strain into a cup, allow to cool a little but drink whilst still hot
Drink this three times a day to soothe sore throats, ease coughs and boost your immune system.
How essential aromatherapy oils can play their part too.
Now we come to using some essential aromatherapy oils. To clear your head, ease those aches and pains, detoxify your body, and aid a good night’s sleep; add five drops of lavender oil and five drops of Chamomile oil to a nice warm bath. If your skin is dry or itchy you can mix these oils into a tablespoon of carrier oil. (This works fabulously for chicken pox too!)
The following essential oil blend will treat the complaints listed below.
It can be used alone or alongside any conventional medication you may be taking.
· Sore throat
When essential oils are mixed together they form a synergistic blend, with each oil enhancing the performance of the other. For this treatment you will need both a large bowl of hot water and a towel to cover your head or a facial steamer/sauna.
Add to the hot water
· 1 drop Patchouli oil (anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant, anti-microbial, antiseptic)
· 1 drop Frankincense oil (anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, diuretic, expectorant, tonic)
· 1 drop Lemon oil (anti–microbial, antiseptic, anti-spasmodic, depurative, diuretic, febrifuge, carminative)
Inhale this blend for ten minutes three times a day, oh and keep your eyes closed too, this very potent mix will clear your head in record time!
If you have an oil burner or diffuser then Lavender or Rosemary are two very good oils to use as they are both anti viral and antibacterial. Not only will they help to heal you they will also cut down on airborne viruses spreading to other family members.
There are a multitude of vitamin and mineral supplements available which can be helpful in treating these symptoms, and boosting your immune system. Any herbalist, homeopath or pharmacist will be more than happy to help you find the ones best suited to you.